A fast, convenient, and safe way to pay
A Visa debit card is a debit card that looks similar to a credit card but acts like a check because the purchase amount is deducted from the cardholder's checking account.
- Quicker than making a trip to the ATM, more convenient than writing checks, and safer than carrying cash.
- Accepted at millions of merchant locations worldwide.
- No need to use your PIN—just sign as you would for any Visa card.
- Visa debit card purchases are automatically deducted from your checking account, so there’s no interest to pay.
- Simplify your record-keeping—your monthly statement provides you with a detailed record of all your transactions.
- And remember, no matter where you're shopping, you can feel confident using your Visa® debit card because we're always working to keep you safe — providing multiple layers of security. For example, with Visa's Zero Liability, you're protected against unauthorized use, so you won't have to pay for fraudulent purchases you don't make.
Important Visa debit card facts
- Because it is a debit card, the amount of your purchase is deducted from your checking account automatically—so be certain you have adequate funds at the time of purchase.
- Car rental companies may require you to present a credit card in order to reserve a car but you may pay for the rental at its conclusion with your Visa debit card.
- To meet consumer demand for payment conveniences such as express/video checkout at hotels, pay-at-the-pump fueling, and one-swipe payment at restaurants, Visa has established processes to protect Visa check card issuers, merchants, and cardholders. Similar to how check deposits can’t be immediately withdrawn, account deductions can’t immediately be cleared when the final amount isn’t known—this typically applies to hotel, restaurant, and pay-at-the-pump gas station purchases.
- For example, you may use your Visa debit card at a restaurant and your card gets authorized before the tip is applied. For these types of purchases, Visa debit card issuers may earmark cardholder funds to cover the estimated cost of the transaction. This process, known as a “hold”, safeguards both cardholders and merchants, ensuring cardholders don't spend more money than they have and merchants are paid for the transaction. While most transactions have a less than 24-hour hold, Visa protects cardholders by requiring issuers or financial institutions to remove all holds within 72 hours.
- You could be charged two fees when you use your card to withdraw cash at an ATM that is not owned by your financial institution—one by your financial institution, and one by the ATM owner.
Fees and Charges for ATM Transactions:
- There is no charge for ATM withdrawals at machines owned by us.
- There is a $1.00 charge for each ATM withdrawal at machines we do not own.
- There is no charge for ATM deposits at machines owned by us.
- You will be charged $5.00 for each rejected automatic deposit to or withdrawal from your account after two.
- When you use an ATM not owned by us, you may be charged a fee by the ATM operator or any network used (and you may be charged a fee for a balance inquiry even if you do not complete a fund transfer).
Debit Card Guard
Recently there has been an increase in unlawful and fraudulent activity within our community. We recognize how important it is for our customers to feel safe and secure when banking with First Bank of Wyoming. With that in mind, we would like to remind you to enroll your card in Debit Card Guard, a text alert service FREE to First Bank of Wyoming customers.
How It Works
Our debit card fraud detection service sends a text alert to your cell phone when specific activity occurs on an enrolled First Bank of Wyoming debit card. If the transaction is fraudulent, reply to the text as directed and any future transactions will be stopped and the card will be blocked.
Fraudulent activity can be recognized and stopped right away, significantly reducing the likelihood that additional unauthorized transactions can be made. Once you successfully enroll in the fraud detection service, a text message will be sent when a debit card transaction occurs that meets the following criteria:
• A transaction was conducted without the debit card being present (ie: phone or internet purchase)
• A transaction was attempted, but was declined
• A transaction for more than $500 was made
• A series of transactions were made exceeding 5 in a rolling 24 hour period
It’s Easy To Enroll
With your debit card information handy, log onto www.FirstBankofWyoming.com and click the Debit Card Guard link in the Resource Center. If you have questions or need more information, please feel free to contact one of our friendly customer service representatives at 307.754.2201.
Please note that you may register an unlimited number of First Bank of Wyoming issued debit cards. In fact, we encourage you to protect all of your First Bank of Wyoming debit cards by enrolling every card for this service.....even those you seldom use. In addition, each time you receive a new debit card, for any reason, you will need to enroll the new card for the service.
Don’t delay! Enroll for this FREE fraud detection service today!
To enroll, click here:
For information on Visa credit cards or to apply for one, click the link below.